Mold is a fungus that grows in moist environments. The most common molds you will find in your home will be in bathrooms, basements, drywall, ceiling tiles, carpet, wallpaper, under sinks, and around plumbing pipes. Is mold harmful to your health? Can you take care of the problem on your own? Read why Complete Detail is ready and experienced to assist you with any mold remediation.
Is Mold Harmful to Your Health?
Yes, untreated mold can result in sickness. Many times, a homeowner may be unaware of mold growing in a home. However, it can result in various health issues. For example, you may notice symptoms including: headache, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes and fatigue. If you suffer from asthma, asthma attacks can occur. It is important to find the root of the problem, especially if it is a mold issue.
Warning Signs Mold is in Your Home:
- Musty Odor
- Visible Growth
- Signs of Water Damage or Leaks
- Past Flooding
Is Mold Covered With Homeowner’s Insurance?
Like with all insurance policies, there are many variables to keep in mind. Homeowners insurance will only cover mold if it was caused by a “covered peril”. The perils covered in your homeowners insurance are listed in your policy. Otherwise, an insurance company will likely not cover mold damage. There are exceptions, depending on your situation. However, something like a preventable water leak, flooding, or high humidity will not be covered. If you are curious about your policy, check to see if there is any language about mold claims. Some insurers offer limited coverage or they give you the option to buy an endorsement to your policy that adds mold coverage.
The Complete Detail Difference
- Free Mold Removal Estimates
- Licensed & Insured
- 24/7 Emergency Mold Removal Availability
- Family Owned & Operated
- IICRC Certified & Insured
- We Work with Insurance
- Initial Response Under 60 Minutes
- Commercial & Residential Mold Removal
Call Mold Remediation Experts in Sidney, Ohio 45365
Can You Remove Mold On Your Own?
In a word, no. It is important to remember how dangerous mold can be. Further, do not try remediation yourself. You can spread spores and make the problem worse and more expensive in the long run. Remember, mold professionals understand much more than just getting rid of visible mold. We know how to find out the type of mold being dealt with and how best to remove it. Additionally, we find out how much moisture is in the home causing the mold to grow. Once the mold is removed, we have special equipment to take moisture readings and ensure no further growth. So instead of trying a DIY project, call the professionals at Complete Detail.
How Does Mold Effect You?
Mold effects people in different ways. For example, those with asthma, or any other lung or respiratory issues are most at risk. However, mold can be toxic for anyone to breathe in. It will often lead to difficulty breathing, runny nose, itchy/watering eyes and sneezing. If you suspect mold growth in your home, don’t wait to call us. Our professionals will be happy to assist anyway we can.
How To Prevent Mold Growth
- Control humidity
- Be quick to fix leaks
- Thoroughly dry after flooding
- Ventilate your shower, laundry, and cooking areas.
Tips to Prevent Mold in Your Home
If you have been a victim of mold in your home but do nothing about the moisture problem the mold will only return. The best way to control moisture that can lead to mold growth is to follow a few simple steps:
- Regularly clean gutters and extend downspouts so water doesn’t pool around your foundation.
- Ensure grading near foundation causes water to run away from your home.
- Ensure your home is properly ventilated, especially the basement.
- Run a fan frequently to ensure air circulation
- Replace air filters regularly.
When You Need to Call an Expert:
If the moldy area is small—it’s growing in an area that’s smaller than 3 feet by 3 feet—you can probably do a DIY cleanup. However, there is need for caution in this area. You may end up making the matter worse in the end. The CDC recommends wearing an N-95 respirator and safety glasses while handling any mold. After leaks and moisture has been cleaned up simply use 1 cup of bleach in one gallon of water.
If you choose to use bleach to clean up mold:
- Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. This will result in a toxic fume.
- Open windows and doors to provide fresh air and provide proper circulation.
- Wear non-porous gloves and protective eye wear.
- Small areas (such as a shower, or an area the size of a door) can often be cleaned by residents, but larger areas need more professional help. It is important to always follow manufacturer’s instructions.
If you have a large amount of mold and you cannot clean up the mess yourself, it is best to call a professional to help do things the right way.
Long-Term Effects of Mold on Your Health
It is no secret that mold can have adverse effects on your health. However, if mold is not eradicated it can have long term effects on a person. We will not only discuss what those symptoms are but how they can be diagnosed if they get extremely serious.
Long-term mold exposure, even if it doesn’t cause immediate symptoms, may also lead to:
- Hair loss
- Feelings of anxiety
- Stomach pain
- Sensitivity to light
- Weight gain
- Muscle cramping
How is mold poisoning diagnosed?
In rare cases of long-term mold exposure, some have experienced mold poisoning. Symptoms alone cannot diagnose mold poisoning. The following options are available from a doctor:
Blood test– A test on your blood needs to be taken and a sample sent to a lab. There it will be tested for the reaction of certain antibodies in your immune system to different mold species. This will help to diagnose mold allergies and reactions to mold. A blood test can also check for biotoxins in your blood from mold exposure, which can also reveal mold poisoning.
Skin prick test– Your doctor will perform this by taking small amounts of mold and apply it to skin using a tiny needle. Your skin will break out in bumps, a rash or hives if you are allergic to mold.
Your doctor will know best how to proceed once the results are in.
When you have a Mold or Mildew problem at your home or business it can be very discomforting! Our Basement Mold Cleanup Company in Sidney, Ohio, 45365 will set up an appointment with you for a thorough inspection. Once our Trained Technicians arrive at your home we will ask you to express your concerns prior to our visual inspection. After we know the primary Mold Remediation we will be able to further diagnose your issue and come up with a plan of action.
How Much Will I Pay for Mold Remediation?
Every mold remediation job is different. However, we are here to give you average prices of mold removal. The average cost of mold remediation is $2,325, with most homeowners spending between $1,500–$3,150. Some companies charge by square footage. In those cases, be prepared to pay around $15 to $31 per square foot. If you only have a small mold problem, most pay an average of $500-$1,500. However, a larger job will leave you paying anywhere around $3,000 to $6,000.
Homeguide.com gives the following averages for the prices of mold removal:
- Minimum Cost: $500
- National Average Cost: $2,325
- Maximum Cost: $6,000
- Average Range: $1,500 to $3,150
If you have further questions or concerns, feel free to call us at (937) 507-2927 or via our Contact Us web page.